We are so close to where I served my mission 10 years ago (yup it really has been that long) that I've been wanting to make it out there since moving here. So yesterday afternoon, on a whim, we decided to pack the kids and go.
I love exiting on Overland from the 10 freeway and seeing the magnificent structure up ahead. I was excited to go inside the visitors' center, where a large portion of my mission was spent, but as we drove onto the temple grounds, I was unpleasantly surprised to find this.
That's right fellow former LAVC sisters, the VC is getting a face lift.
I know this was much needed and well overdue, seeing as I felt it was in need of a remodel back when I served here, but I was none the less disappointed. They have gutted the entire thing, and it looks like a major over haul. I hope it's finished while we are still here and I can sneak another trip out to see the finished product.
Despite the unexpected surprise, we still had a good time walking the grounds.
After our stroll on the grounds we headed to the beach. Although cloudy and on the verge of a storm, we managed to sneak a few minutes before it started raining.
Elena was not a huge fan of the water at first...
But she warmed up to it.
Raquel was all about feeding the seagulls...
and Elena opted for throwing sand on them (here she is with a fist-full ready for the throw)
However, this only lasted until Raquel got pecked by a sea gull (seconds after I took this picture). And the feeding abruptly stopped. Birds note so cute anymore.
They collected sea shells...
and baby chilled.
When it started sprinkling, we packed up and headed home...
Elena would have rather stayed.
Great Sunday afternoon!
Come visit and we'll take you too.


5 comments:
Ah! That stinks! Great pictures though.
Love the pictures at the Temple and the beach, I am sure the visitor center will be remodeled and ready to go while you are there...you would think so.
Your girls are so cute!
Look at you, getting all artistic with the camera. Nice job. Your camera takes really good pictures. o.k. So Miguel and I are coming in February. I'm about 85% sure. Can we bunk up with you guys while we go visit Disneyland and we want to go to the beach. It's the last week of Feb. Let me know. And remind me of how far you are from the park?
Beautiful pictures!
great pictures! i was just home (ventura co) for 2 weeks at christmas and was also disappointed that the VC was still under construction ;*(. this website, only says "it will re-open in 2009". ;) lol http://www.lds.org/placestovisit/location/0,10634,1786-1-1-1,00.html
good luck the next time you visit. ;)
Post a Comment