Thursday, October 29, 2009

Childhood Milestone

Yes, it's official.  Raquel lost her first tooth yesterday.  It had been wiggly for some time, but she was in no hurry to loose it until she learned that the tooth fairy really does exist.

You see, Mike loves messing with the girls.  They have learned that almost anything he says, that might be remotely odd, is usually not true.  This has by defalt turned me into the bearer of ALL truth.  Anytime anything far fetched comes out of Mike's mouth they automatically turn to me for validation.

So last week when Raquel told Mike her tooth was loose, this was the conversation that followed:

Mike:  Make sure you don't accidentally swallow it, or you won't get any money from the tooth fairy.
Raquel:  The tooth fairy is pretend, dad.
Mike:  How would you know?  You've never lost any teeth.
Raquel:  Did you get any money from the tooth fairy when you lost your teeth?
Mike:  No, because my teeth were yellow and ugly.  But you'll probably get some money for your tooth.  It doesn't look too bad.

This was starting to sound logical...so she looked at me and asked, "Is that true mom?  The tooth fairy is not pretend?"  I responded with, "Uh....when your tooth falls out, you will get money."

And that was all I needed to say.  She had since been doing everything in her power to get it out.  And yesterday it finally happened, she came running into the kitchen to show me this:


Pretty exciting!  This is after all a major childhood milestone.  It does make me a little bit sad though...she is no longer little, little. 



4 comments:

Ellie said...

That's so cute. And that totally sounds like Mike. Funny guy. I can't believe she's old enough to start losing teeth! Time flies!!

Raquel said...

Craig and I love to read your blogs because they always make us laugh. We loved the conversation he had with Raquel. So cute :)

Erin said...

Ammon is really concerned that she lost her tooth. Yea for Raquel! I'm so glad I don't have any more teeth to lose. I was such a baby about losing teeth.

Giulia said...

Oh my goodness! Yay! Raquel you are getting so big! In our family the tooth fairy is actually the house mouse. LOL! (I admit Italians are WEIRD even when it comes to stories to tell kids...the problem is that they really believe it) The mouse comes over and buys the teeth so he can make necklaces to sell at the local mouse market in exchange for cheese.
PS. We had a discussion with hannah about this a few minutes ago before she went to bed and she is now so excited to loose her teeth!!!