Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Home Sweet Home

We spent the Fourth of July weekend moving.  Not much was done in the way of celebrating our country's independence this year, but I'm glad for the extra long weekend that Mike had off school and I had off work so that we could get it done.  This was our 6th move in our 7 years of marriage.  And here it is....


It really doesn't look like much.  And Mike likes it this way, he says we are less likely to get robbed.  This is after all Pomona.  Nonetheless, we are very happy, it will work well for our family this next year.  Here is a small tour of the inside.


I love that I actually have a laundry room.  An office room.  A play room.  A kitchen room.  And a living room.  As opposed to having an all-in-one room, like in our apartment.


And the highlight of the house ....the backyard.


The girls are loving it.  With the help of a couple of yard sales Mike was able to completely stock up the backyard with play structure, canopy, pool, kids' picnic table, glass table and chairs for less than $40.


 There are lots of little kids in the neighborhood and the girls are excited to have other kids to play with.
The neighborhood reminds me of my mission.  It is the type of neighborhood that we would stake out because we knew it was full of Spanish speaking families.  Here are some of the things that give it away:  1. Mexican Flags  2. Ice cream trucks that go by literally 6 times a day (last drive-by being around 9pm).  3. Street vendors with their little carts sounding their horns 2-3 times a day selling corn on a stick or tamales.  4. The chorus of dogs that howl every time an ice cream truck or ambulance goes by. 5. Neighbors busting out their Nortena music. and  6. Christmas lights up in July. 

 

9 comments:

Shelley said...

Yay! How fun! Any house with a Palm tree in the front yard has to be a good house! It looks really small from the outside, but it can't be if you have that many rooms. How many bedrooms do you have? And did you get new furniture?? LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the orange couches! They are way fun!

Giulia said...

Wow! It truly will be perfect for the next year! I can't believe how fast you guys were able to be boxes free. I am glad you have more space and the kids have a backyard! That makes a whole world of difference during the summer.
What can I say about the less than $40 purchase???? A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. finder (or...maybe robber?) that husband of yours!
I did see your washer and drier at Sears for over $2000!
Crazy!
I love your description of the neighborhood!!! That is SO true!!!

Unknown said...

That is awesome! I'm so excited for you and your girls!

Juliette said...

It looks pretty nice on the inside. I like all the tile and hardwood floors. And that IS a great back yard. That'll be so nice to get a little space from the girls. (o:

Rebeca said...

Aww! My mouth water for all some elotes, tamales, and the ice cream, it would hard too cook with all those back-up... LOVE the home and YARD. So happy for everybody ;D

Rebeca said...

love the painting with the couches!

Sandy Cove said...

Mike is amazing! I would never be able to bargain shop like that. Can you believe how fast this last year has gone by? Just 1 more to go :) Hope this year is a good one for everyone including Mike. Does he get to be close to home much?

Ellie said...

A HOUSE! Woot woot! Congrats! And seriously...Mike's deal finding skills are amazing. That man has serious skills.

Sandy Cove said...

Time really has flown by. I can't believe I'll be done in only 3 weeks. This year will fly by for you guys too I imagine :) especially for Mike. That's neat that they sent you an invite. That would be so fun if you could come. Which I imagine you can't. But it would have been fun to see you +/- the rest of the family. My Mom, Misty, Wade and the boys are coming +/- Aunt Peg. I am so excited to see everyone