We tried a few months after she turned 5, but she wasn't ready.
With apartment living, homes with no space, and busy schedules,
not much thought or effort was put into it, until now.
Within days of turning 8, another attempt was well overdue.
There is a long alley close to our house.
Perfect for achieving the right speed to maintain balance.
With the other two girls, Mike's running shoes, and my camera in hand,
we headed out to document the monumental event.
He steadied her but for a few seconds as he ran next to her,
and within moments of reaching enough speed
she had it!
"That was way too easy!" I yelled while clicking from behind.
There are few moments from my childhood that are vividly fixed in my repertoire of memories,
and learning to ride a bike is one of them.
I don't recall exactly how old I was, but everything else about it is still so clear.
We were at a parking lot of a large supermarket. My dad steadying while running by my side.
The exhilaration that rushed through me as I looked back towards his hand
only to realize he was no longer there and I had been riding solo for who knows how long.
I saw those same emotions on Raquel's face as she rode back towards me, "I'm doing it, Mom!"
The next 3 pictures were taken in sequence:
Skills, I tell you. He's got them.
And so it begins.
Way to go my little Raquel!


3 comments:
YAY for Raquel!!! What a great way to document this event! She will LOVE looking at these pictures when she is older! Great team job you all!
PS. So...should we expect a post about her baptism? When is it (or when was it?)? I can't believe she is 8!!!!!!!!!
That was me...not the first time I don't realize I was logged in with Daniel's email :)
Love the sunset lighting, it just adds to the whole event. Congrats to Raquel! And he better have those skills, I bet little Gracie is happy he has 'em too ;)
Post a Comment