Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Slice


It had been a good run.  I finished stretching and walked upstairs to shower. That's when I remembered that we still had a watermelon.  I turned around kitchen-bound, because when you are hot and sweaty, there is nothing quiet as refreshing as that red, juicy, cold fruit. They are, after all, mostly water (92%).

I placed  the heavy fruit on the cutting board and pulled a large butcher knife from the drawer.  After cutting it in two, I grabbed one of the halves and proceeded to make smaller slices.  That watermelon rind, it's thick you know, and slicing requires force.  I pushed down on the knife at the same time that the watermelon rolled.  My left hand, which was steadying the fruit, rolled with it, downward, and directly below the path of the knife.  It happened fast. And with the slice of watermelon there also came the pad of my little finger.

Thankfully, Mike was home and we got to work on repairing the damage.  



I'm glad it was just the tip, because if my finger had been a centimeter over it would have been an amputee or something close to it.


I've sutured plenty and have helped repair similar injuries on others, but I've come to appreciate a few things this week.  #1) Those finger tips can bleed.  Oh can they bleed.


#2) When they say that your finger pads have a gazillion nerve endings, it's no joke.  This thing has hurt and throbbed more than any other injury I've ever had.  Ever.  Which brings me to #3) When I see patients with similar injuries in the future, the words, Some Ibuprofen should be enough, will no longer be uttered and I will give them the good stuff.

Not quiet numb enough; giving myself more anesthetic.

Mike and I sat in bed later that night and commented on the vulnerability of life.  In an instant things can change.  It's easy to take it for granted,  and while I'm not suggesting that you live your life in fear of what could happen, it's after experiences like this, that I'm reminded to more fully live and enjoy it.


But more importantly, at the end of the day, when I-or those I love-finish it unscathed, I need to more perfectly and completely thank Heaven.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you had a good run! How convenient to be able to avoid the 2 hour wait in the urgent-care; one of the perks of having trained medical staff in the house. :) I hope it heals quickly.
Christina P.

Transplanted Italian said...

I don't deal well with blood and my face at the moment is pale and I am a little nauseous. Those pictures are very descriptive. You guys are two peas in a pod. I think Mike was smiling most of the time and you probably would have been too (or were you???) were it not for the pain, bless your heart.
Life is fragile.
I hope your little finger heals super fast!

Amber Sands said...

I am just impressed that you had sterile materials and is that some lidocaine I see? or did you have to undergo stitches without anything? We are not nearly as organized. We have plenty of suture but not the important stuff. Your blog made me realize I need to get ready for these episodes. We've had a torn frenulum that I had to ice and apply pressure in a toddler but that is it:0) Hope you feel better!

Rebeca said...

Ouwie! Thats a big ouie! Were you able to save the finger tip? or is it long gone. What a blessing to have all the tools, knowledge and attitude needed for these unplanned events. Great use of words in your blog - as always ;D Well for now everyone will know when you want to comment with that bright white gauxy index finger - its sure to bring attention, happy healing...

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing around Christmas time. I was slicing zucchini using a new slicer thingy and off went the top of my pinky. Izzy was there, ask him what happened to the piece I sliced off. No kidding, it hurts more than you would think. I had to go to the ER to get it to stop bleeding and they did give me the good stuff! Oh, the adventures in the kitchen! Hope it heals up quickly :)

CaroFamily said...

I just skipped the pictures because I know they will just make me queasy... well I did peek at some :) ... I love so much that Mike stitched you back together. I bet Mike loved it.