It is true. We are not the same parents to first borns that we are to subsequent kids. With Raquel I would practice the alphabet, colors, numbers, animals, shapes, and any other imaginable thing I could think of. Although my desire to have my kids equipped with those things that will make them be successful is still there, my obsessive zealous training has diminished with every ensuing daughter.
Maybe it is because I have more to worry about. Or maybe I've just become progressively lazy. But, the remarkable thing is that succeeding children pick all of this stuff up despite our lack of coaching. Often at an earlier time than their older well instructed siblings did. They are eager to learn, they mimic everything and often sit in the side lines absorbing everything that their older brothers or sisters are doing.
This has been especially true with our youngest. She is super bright; doing things well ahead of schedule (in spite of me). I've been particularly surprised with her ability to sing. I don't remember my other 2 girls, at her age, being able to carry a tune like she does. Among many songs, on any particular day she can be heard belting the chorus to Hallelujah.
I'll try to get her on camera one of these days but for now here is a video of her soaking up some martial arts training. You wouldn't know by looking just at her that she is not the one being taught...she is all about it...even if this side-learning sometimes comes with a price.


3 comments:
love it! She even got the sound effects in ;) Kids are seriously sponges, they say the absorb the most the first 5 years... ;D
I LOVE that girl! I feel you left too early in her life for me to really get to see the change from baby to toddler but thanks to your great blog I get to see her progress and get to know her fun personality. She is so bright!
PS. I love that song (Hallelujah)...I am putting it on my blog right now...if I can find it on the website.
that was adorable! please tell mike we miss him and i love seeing him be a daddy and he's lucky to have such an attentive loving wife and mother to your children. What a fun house. ;)
Post a Comment